Log in


Recent Entries

You are viewing the most recent 9 entries

March 2nd, 2006

peterpunk @ 09:37 pm: IT'S A BOY and other news
Yes despite all the internet tests... It's a boy and we will call him Kier, we are very happy and to know one more detail about him takes the whole thing one step closer to reality!
Apart from those great news, I am tired, have a cold and feel that I don't even have time to be pregnant and I am feeling guilty about it.
My first pregnancy was so different, our whole lives revolved around my belly, back then, and now it feels that is something we remember from time to time to keep us cheerful.Everyone I am talking to with more than one kid agrees on those feelings, the problem is that for me in the other hand, is dificult to accept, since I am reading so much about pregnancy, and going to my classes, and hoping to be an antenatal teacher, that is difficult to accept that being as interested in pregnancy as I am, I'm somehow not paying enough attention to my own.
Obviously after a busy week , being kinda late and with a bad cold is probably not the best moment to put myself to trial, but hey! I needed a download : )

Current Mood: lethargiclethargic

February 11th, 2006

peterpunk @ 12:04 am: on the same subject
I've been checking other sites and there is this chinese calendar that apparently is 99% accurate and I am having a girl, this is a joke?!
What do you think? Does my belly look like a water melon or a basket ball?

February 10th, 2006

peterpunk @ 11:50 pm: another one about baby's gender

this is based on old wives tales and is says that I have 38% chances of having a boy and 62% of having a girl at least is not like an a 1% of having a rabbit : ) And yes I am impatient!!!

peterpunk @ 11:31 pm: Your baby's gender ?!

segun esta tabla se puede saber el sexo del bebe ?!! Me mantengo esceptica. segun la tabla estoy esperando un niño, el 22 de este mes lo sabremos : )

According to the table in the link, you might be able to know the gender of the baby that you are expecting?! I am still sceptic, it seems that if they are right I will be expecting a boy, we will know on the 22nd of February : )

February 7th, 2006

peterpunk @ 05:46 pm: Mis problemas conmigo
Se que soy madre, pero todavia soy yo, quizas soy yo diferente, pero yo al fin y al cabo.
Me molesta, a veces lo que percibo de alguna gente cuando estoy embarazada, a saber:
Me debo transformar en una persona sumisa, que irradie todos los topicos de una femineidad arcaica, que se vista de colores pastel y sea totalmente asexuada, por supuesto que no se me ocurra bailar porque no es lo normal y solo dios sabe que consecuencias tendra para el feto.
Lo que me malesta sobremanera es que mi barriga pase a ser propiedad universal, de la que todo el mundo tiene derecho a opinar, tocar, mirar sin discreccion alguna y preocuparse por su contenido, mucho mas de lo que yo, segun ellos jamas llegaria a preocuparme.Porque por supuesto soy una descerebrada, portadora de un pobre futuro individuo al que de no ser por gente a la que a penas conozco, quien sabe que terrible destino le esperaria.
Cuando las buenas intenciones se juntan con la ignorancia son la peor de las ponzoñas.

Current Mood: nostalgicnostalgic

February 4th, 2006

peterpunk @ 10:16 am: Breastfeeding
Research on media representation of breast and bottle feeding was published in the British Medical Journal
Representing infant feeding: content analysis of British media portrayals of bottle feeding and breast feeding
Lesley Henderson, Jenny Kitzinger, and Josephine Green
BMJ, 2000, 321(7270): pp. 1196-1198
Media representations of breastfeeding often portray it as unusual, embarrassing, difficult or funny. By contrast, bottle feeding is presented as the normal and socially acceptable way to feed a baby. Analysis of one month of television outputlocated just one TV program, Channel 4's soap opera Brookside , that showed a woman breastfeeding. The researchers found another 9 scenes in which breast pumps appeared (not in use). By contrast there were 170 scenes of bottle feeding (including formula preparation) across all kinds of programmes. Problems with bottle feeding were suggested only once in the TV sample while there were 27 references to problems with breastfeeding, including sleepless nights, 'droopy' breasts, sore nipples and being tied to the baby. Similar findings were echoed in the analysis of newspaper reporting. The conclusion: the media rarely present positive or just routine representations of breastfeeding and this may have profound implications for how women decide to feed their babies and thus for the health of the next generation.

Taken from www.sheilakitzinger.com

Current Mood: busy

February 2nd, 2006

peterpunk @ 12:15 pm: Interesting link

peterpunk @ 12:03 pm: The first time ever I saw his face!!
So, as I said, I will start with my son's birth story:
When I was pregnant with Euan, my first one, I was pretty determined to have as much of a natural birth as possible, it was very strange for everybody that knew me, and I think they were all waiting for me to change my mind and beg for an epidural in the last minute, which I would have done, if I had felt the need.
But I think the best thing I did to prepare myself for labour was to read as much as possible about it to see as many pictures of the human body during pregnancy, I watch as many educative programs as possible, with deliveries shown as they happened in real life, went to antenatal classes, and I stayed away from old wives tales, ER, and any horrible story that some women with no experience wanted to tell me.
So after all that I trusted my body implicitly, and that is who I think you should trust, and no one else, midwives and doctors(particullary midwives) are great help as a guide though the whole proccess, and they are very needed if things don't proceed as they should but otherwise, we are the ones perfectly equipped to bring the baby into the world, we even have the best possible drugs to cope with it, we just need to learn about how to use them.
Anyhow, Euan after all was late(2 weeks overdue), and the doctors, try to convince me to leave that "nonsense" of home delivery aside and come to hospital for an induction, and they did convice me, how?, saying the magical sentence:"It could be a risk for the baby".That is all you need to say to a first time mother to make her sign anything.
Today I wouldn't do it, and today I am grateful to be with a group of midwives that will let me have a home birth for up to 43 weeks.(normal birth happens between 37 and 43 weeks)
So, we went to hospital around 8 p.m, my mum, my partner and I, my face was like the one of someone facing a death sentence, I was doing something against my will, and I was going to a hospital, a place that makes me uptight, that I identify with disease and death, a place with bright lights and dirty corridors(NHS in London has real hygienic issues), not a place where I wanted to start my son's life.
The good news were that when they examing me upon arrival they discovered that I was already 3cm dilated so they didn't induce me after all, and let me progress naturally, which I did, we spend the night walking around and me breathing and trying to watch "Drugstore cowboy" in between contractions, the contractions were painful and I felt a sort of heat taking over my body so my partner will put the hand fan around my face(it was quite good) and I knew they will pass so that helped me cope, it was a rythm to the whole thing and I just went along with it, I didn't fight it because I understood it, because I could visualize what my body was doing, thanks to the information I had.
So they checked on me again and by five o'clock am, I have dilated 7cm!! and I was on my way to the delivery room, the contractions were coming closer togheter like the thunder when the storm is imminent, we were very lucky and they put us in a very big room, that I believed it was the staff room and I had this lovely scottish midwife that understood immidiately the type of birth I wanted, since my legs were very weak, I couldn't have the baby standing up so we agreed to have the back of the bed up 90 degrees and me kneeling down against it, and with my mum holding my arms and my partner checking that the baby was coming out I delivered Euan at 5:43, with my tape playing in the background"The first time ever I saw your face" and the feeling was just the happiest moment ever!!! he was perfect, I didn't need stiches and we went home at six p.m that day, after a couple of arguments with the nurses, offcourse :)
That moment, that time has define my life, so much so that I have discover that I want to be an antenatal teacher, that I want to help women to have better deliveries to gain control over their bodies and to don't have to do anything they don't want to in such a special time.We have to learn the basics all over again.
Now I am 20 weeks pregnant and I can't wait for the delivery of my second one, which I am hoping it'll be at home, but hey, you never know!

Current Music: I am beggining to see the light.V.U

January 31st, 2006

peterpunk @ 06:27 pm: First post.
Hi everyone, somebody must start this so...I am a mother of a four and a half and I am 20 weeks pregnant, I am a volunteer for the National Chilbirth Trust, and I am hoping to start studying really soon to be an antenatal teacher with the NCT, so at the moment you can say that I am an enthusiast about pregnancy and birth, the human body and the capacity women have to bear and deliver babies, I am particulary interested in how information and choices are powerful tools we can use for delivery.
Anyway that was just to start somewhere...next post:The first time I gave birth, so hopefully you will fancy telling your stories :)

Current Mood: hopefulhopeful
Powered by LiveJournal.com